Another Labor Day Weekend Down

It’s been almost a week since we left for the annual Labor Day camping trip and I am happy to report that we made it up with no incident.  We took two vehicles, just in case.  MIL drove up with hubby while SIL1 drove up with me.  We arrived in the early afternoon and I was surprised that hubby was not already there as he and MIL had left before us.  As it turns out they made a few stops.  Five to be exact.  I joked with SIL1 that the only reason why there were so many stops made is because the Old Battle Axe (me)wasn’t around.  My Dad was the same way and had an extreme aversion to stopping on a long road trip.  You had to be bleeding, barfing or broken, and even then it was questionable.  I am definitely my father’s daughter.

This year was quieter than most years.  A few of the regulars didn’t make it  but I have to admit it was kind of nice this way. 

MIL really enjoyed herself.  We were bombarded by phone calls first thing by SIL 2 & 3, and also BIL making sure that MIL was in good hands.  Upon arrival she announced several times how beautiful and peaceful the surroundings were.  The first evening us ladies decided to turn in early.  It was very chilly so we all had to dress in our winter p.j.s.  MIL started telling us about her adventures in Mexico with one of her sisters and we laughed until we had tears in our eyes.  It was very much a sleep-over atmosphere. 

On Saturday afternoon MIL decided she was going to make homemade tortillas for the crew the next day so we headed into town to pick up some provisions.  We tried to find a rolling-pin but there were none to be had.  We improvised using a cylinder shaped concrete tool hubby had taken out of his truck and it worked better than any other rolling-pin I’ve ever used.  I just happen to bring a pizza stone from home and this ended up being the perfect baking instrument.  We placed it over the outside gas burner and it cooked up the most delectable tortillas ever made from scratch.  MIL had made a batch for us to have for breakfast Sunday morning but once word got out, one by one the other campers started to wander over.  We took out the butter and sugar, as well as a few plates.  Before we knew it everyone had a fresh hot tortilla.  They were definitely a hit. 

In addition to hanging out doing a whole lot of nothing, SIL1 and I went for a long hike early Sunday morning.  Abby accompanied us.  It has been a whole year since we’ve camped in that part of the mountains and I didn’t realize how much I missed it.  It was great, too, spending time with SIL1.  She, like my husband, is a great conversationalist. 

The weekend seem to go by in a flash.  It seem to be quicker than even last year.  SIL1 made mention of that as well.  I guess that’s what happens when you enjoy yourself.  MIL said she would like to go back again and she talked about all the articles of clothing she’d have to get; new boots, thermal underwear, a jacket, etc…  Now MIL is a very traditional Mexican lady.  She wore a skirt all weekend and she wears her waist-long hair up in a bun.  I’m still trying to picture her in boots and thermal underwear and I just can’t see it. 

Upon arriving home on Monday, the Smokester’s little shadow could be seen from under the door to our bedroom.  I picked her up to say hello and she immediately pulled away from me.  I placed her down and she ran into the laundry room only to curl up on a towel I was getting ready to throw into the wash.  She ignored me for the rest of the night.  That was one miffed mustelid, I’ll tell you!

As of Tuesday though I seem to be back in her good graces and she was accepting and giving kisses again.  The boy who was watching her said she was fine.  I noticed her toys had been pulled out so I can see that he actually did come over and play with her.  My one concern was that she might get stepped on where she has a habit of sticking so close to feet.  I had warned the boy several times about that.  He is actually 6’5″ so he is not built like a boy. Everything went well though.  Next time though I think the Smokester will come with us.  I thought about her several times over the weekend and hoped she was okay.  My phone also died on the first day and wouldn’t you know I had forgotten my charger on the counter.  Luckily everything was fine. 

So there it is.  Another Labor Day Weekend down.

14 thoughts on “Another Labor Day Weekend Down

  1. ElizabethFrank123

    It sounds like you had a great time. I also love how you improvised when things couldn’t be found or bought 😛 shame you couldn’t have made a phone charger out of something! haha

    • It was a lot of fun. Can’t believe I’m talking about it in the past tense now. Camping is all about improvising. Yes, now if I could have only figured out a way to create a phone charger I’d have been alright. Where is McGyver when you need him? Not sure if you are familiar with that show in the UK. It was popular here in the 90s. This man would find himself in all sorts of difficult predicaments and he’d construct things out of household items to work his way out.

  2. What a wonderful refreshing trip! I love the fact that your MIL tells funny stories and has you all laughing. What fun. The hikes sound lovely! Did you take pictures?

    You “just happend” to bring your pizza stone, lol. Funny thing. I did not know that stones could be placed over a gas burner. The tortillas sound delicious. Makes me want to go outside and cook them. Don’t you think things always taste better when cooked outside?

    • It was really a great time. Unfortunately I didn’t think to charge the camera battery so the camera wasn’t working when we got there.

      I actually had the pizza stone to make an appetizer so it worked out really well. The camper oven doesn’t work all that great. Many times things will burn on the bottom on one side and then be undercooked on the other side. I found that by using the pizza stone for a couple of things that it actually makes things come out half way decent. 🙂

      And yes, there is something definitely better about meals when they are cooked outside. Coffee too!

  3. Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing weekend and a chance to bond and share good times with your in-laws. Glad you had fun, and that the Smokester is over you leaving. I think Sly is STILL a little ticked at me for dragging him with me when we had to stay with my grandparents during Irene : ).

    • It really was fun and I was glad to have some fun times with my MIL & SIL1. Isn’t it funny how animals react to change? They are kind of like little people in a way. I hope Vin faired a little better. 😉

  4. Smokey is just like a cat. They get so upset with us for leaving!

  5. Sounds like a great weekend….i can not imagine winter PJ’s. and the hommade tortillas….wow icing on the cake. I am feeling a fondness for your MIL!!

    • It really was a great time. I still can’t believe its behind us now. Wearing those p.j.s felt so good. It’ll be awhile before they are worn again. I imagine you are in the same boat.

      My MIL is a wonderful person. I really could not ask for a better MIL. With the passing of my FIL back in June, we have been trying to keep her busy. Its been rough on her but she is a tough lady.

  6. Welcome back! I’m so glad you were able to enjoy your camping trip. Arizona sounds beautifully scenic. You were truly able to relax in the great outdoors. Your ferret is resented… give her time. 🙂

    • Thanks Zoom. It was a wonderful time. Arizona has so many different climates. We have the high and low deserts, and then the mountains here are just spectacular. Its very diverse.

      Smokey luckily has forgiven me. Luckily her resentment was short lived. 😉

  7. Oh what a lot of fun you had! LOL @ the thermal underwear – I love my winter spencers! (spell check doesn’t like that but that’s Queen’s english). I’m also one of those people that gets in a car and heads straight for the destination with minimum stops and no detours. I’ve relaxed a bit since I’ve been with the manservant as he likes to just wander along – more like “touring” the countryside than there being a final destination.

    • Winter spencers. I’ve never heard that term before. What a neat name for thermals. 🙂

      I know when Hubby says he wants to leave at a certain time that I need to tag on at least 1.5 to 2 hours. I actually have started planning on it which makes life easier on both of us.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s